Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Serendipity



Thank you for all your kind wishes on my birthday. I had a great day.
I met my new mentee yesterday. It is a boy. When I first saw him, I thought that he looked familiar. Come to find out, I know his brother who has been in the mentoring program for a few years. My little boy, Dylan, is the sweetest little boy ever. He was excited and nervous to meet me. He was polite, thoughtful and cooperative. A third grader is these things??? Wow. He has a speech impediment but he works very hard to be understood. R's are especially hard for him to say. We need to work on reading, as I think he is a little behind. I instantly love this kid. This will be a good year. Lunch was a choice between chicken nuggets and a hot dog. Dylan didn't care for the (canned) pork and beans or wheat roll and only ate a bite or two of the (canned) fruit cocktail. He bought an extra chocolate milk. I asked him all about what he likes and his family. Alice In Wonderland is being put on by the Youth Theater and I would like to arrange to take him to see it. I'll have to contact his mom.
I didn't get much stitching done yesterday. I got the second frame for the Button Lover's Brag Book right inside cover. (Say that three times fast) A little bit of two borders to do and that page is done. I want to make the fabric "cards" that go in the frames. They are made of printed fabric and mounted on sturdy interfacing. Then you put your buttons on them.
I am still working on the dark brown framework for the bargello on A Spot in the Mountains.
We went to a restaurant that offers 40% off on Mondays. It was too busy and had a wait time of 45 minutes. DH hates to wait. So then we went to a different place that was not busy at all. It was a nice quiet dinner and they accomodated my request for the root beer float. It was great. I have a recipe (from Spinster Stitcher) for a root beer bundt cake. I have all the stuff to try it. But I don't have a bundt pan. Would it do well as cupcakes? Can I put it in a 9 by 13 inch pan? It might be fun to try in my mini donut pan. We'll see.
A

1 comment:

  1. Great to see your stitching progress. You are doing well. I'm interested to hear about your mentoring - it must be really rewarding. Sounds like a lot of canned foodstuffs in the school lunches. I always imagined that schools had a cook on site to prepare healthy lunches. Must be wrong in my assumptions!! Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete