Monday, May 6, 2013

Inching Along

I'm inching along on Spring Jumble - and loving each little square.  The colors are great (and so Cynthia).  I'm a little over half done already.  My aim is to finish the third row of squares today.

I've made a bit of progress on the Erica Micheal's scissors fob.  It is very calming to stitch this.  Slow and methodical, it makes you just relax.

I took apart the scissors case with the mat board and decided to go with the paper lining as it worked so well in Sweet Heart of Mine.  I used some thermolam on the front and I'm afraid it was a little too thick.  Barbara Jackson mentioned some lining that is used is found in the drapery department of fabric stores that makes a nice lining.  I'll have to look for that.



I am not entirely happy with how it turned out.  You can hear the crinkle of paper when you bend it.  I used fabric instead of linen for the back piece.  The redo is a big improvement over the mat board even though it may not look much different.  I must admit to sewing the back piece together on the sewing machine instead of hand sewing it.  I then inserted two pieces of paper inside it.  I am thinking of putting some twisted cording around the edge.

I am gettting ready to do a big project for Claire.  A busy book to occupy her while she is in the car.  I found a pattern.

 I can not believe how much patterns cost.  It's crazy.  I'm not sure I would have bought it if it hadn't been 40 % off.  16 dollars for a pattern!  I could buy a doll all done with many of the features (zippers, snaps, velcro, etc.) for 25.  I'm going to make this book personal and special for her.

I'm off to see Dylan.  We must finish the coaster for Mother's Day today!
A

2 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to follow your progress on what we call Quiet Books as I made one for my niece many years ago. They are fun to personalise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Spring Jumble is turning out soooooo pretty.
    Love the pastel colors on this one.
    The fob is coming along nicely too.
    When I made a scissor case, I went to a drapery store looking for Skirtex, they didn't have that brand, but they sold me some similar fabric, and that worked well, it really didn't have a name, but it came on a roll, and it was 4" wide, very reasonably priced too.
    Watch JoAnn fabrics for Simplicity patterns, you can get them when they have the 99 cent sale!
    That IS a cute pattern though.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete