Saturday, December 21, 2013

Warts and All

I am trying again to make the snail from Mermaid's Treasures.  I was doing fine until I got to the over one on the far side.  I got off.  Way off.

 I decided not to just fudge it.  I started over.  Luckily I had enough of the dark blue thread.  I was worried I was going to run out.  So I used a better strategy this time.  I put in the dark blue and then worked the other "stripes" of blue around it.  Success!

Then I thought, wow can I put this together now?  No.  I have to do the snail's shell.  The shell is made using the ceylon stitch over a straw.  I did it once, I can do it again.  So I started.  Then I was reminded what a PITA the thread is.  It twists and knots and causes me fits.  Then I dropped stitches and didn't realize it until 5 rows later.  Then when I get all done, I see that it is actually too long.  It needs to be over an inch shorter.

 I can finagle it to look okay.  But then I check the instructions and see Amy Mittens beautifully stitched, perfectly done ceylon stitch.  I can do better.  I will try it again.  This time I am waxing the thread, that helps it not twist so much.  I am being very careful not to drop or skip a stitch.  It is only six stitches a round, you'd think I could figure this out.  Anyway, it is looking better.  I'll make it a bit shorter this time too.  Hopefully I can finish it today.

I've decided that any ornaments not on the tree by 5 p.m. will be stored back in the crawlspace.

I am still hoping to get the Casket Keepsakes kit in the mail.  I printed out the instructions so I am ready.  It doesn't look hard at all.
We are expecting an ice storm this afternoon.  Ugh.
A

No comments:

Post a Comment