Sunday, May 4, 2014

Birthday Boy

We celebrated Dylan's birthday on Monday.  It turned out fine.  I probably wasn't supposed to buy him anything but I don't care.  What he wanted was an umbrella.  So I got him an umbrella.  Then when I was at the store I got a combination lock.  I remember using one on my locker in high school.  I don't know if they still do that.  Dylan is concerned that kids are taking the snacks I bring him each week out of his locker.  So maybe he can put a lock on his locker.  I wonder if they are allowed at the school.  Anyway the lock is a hit.  It is challenging to learn how to do it.  He needs a bit more practice.  I give him the quilt.  He holds it up so I can take a picture.

Then he wraps it around himself.

I think he likes it.  I'm so glad.  I've been his mentor for three years and now we only have three more weeks together.  We made icing for the brownies.  The smoothie maker works great and is less messy than making icing in a bowl.

Now the brownies didn't turn out perfectly.  I bumped one pan on the edge of the oven as I was taking them out.

 But they taste fine.

I work on one of the smalls kits that we got.  I love it.  The directions are a bit fluid.  You are supposed to choose the stitches and colors that you want.  Sometimes cross stitch is robotic.  We are lazy and want everything spelled out to the last detail.  With this project I had to think and decide.  It is good for me to have to do this.  I like how it turned out.  I'm proud of it too since it has my own choices in it.



I'm still trying to decide if this needs twisted cording around the edge.
A

4 comments:

  1. Your cushion turned out beautiful and it is a unique piece to be proud of.
    You are right , we get so used to following instructions ....so it is a good thing once in a while to be creative and think " different"! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Dylan loves his quilt and had a grand birthday. :)
    Your little cushions are lovely as they are, no cord needed - unless you decide you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Dylan likes his quilt. :)
    The little initial cushion is pretty.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always lots of lovely things to see on your blog Amy :)
    I am wondering if you would share the little floral alphabet - I notice that you use the A and it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete